Friday, June 13, 2008

Plums from the tree that wasn't suppose to bear

When we bought this home six years ago, we picked this beautiful ornamental plum tree for our front yard. Most of the other neighbors went with whatever the builder put in. We wanted to be different and also, wanted to create some shade. Each year, as the tree grew, we would get a handful of small plums. We basically left them alone and let the birds have them. This year was different. The tree was loaded with plums. Every time the wind would kick up, some would fall. We'd step on them, thus leaving stains on the sidewalk and sometimes even in the house. Last Sunday, I asked my husband to help me pick the remaining plums off, to eliminate this problem. The more we picked, the more we had. Pretty soon our basket was full. I couldn't resist... I'd been wanting to can again for sometime. So that evening and the next morning, I made plum jam, with the help of my husband. It is delicious!!! We may never have this opportunity again, but while we did, we took advantage of it. Now, I'm looking for other foods to can. It's so nice to open up a jar of fresh green beans in the dead of winter.


We call this "Wild Buffalo Plum Jam"...

No comments: